Introduction sectionPublic Administration Property: the new annual report and the open data are available online

Public Administration Property: the new annual report and the open data are available online

The Department of the Treasury has issued the Report on Public Administration Property, drawn up on the basis of the declarations received for 2017 as part of the PA Assets project, launched pursuant to art. 2, paragraph 222 of Italian Law 191/2009. The data declared by the administrations are also made available in open format.

 

At the end of the survey, 8,674 Public Administrations had submitted declarations, an increase compared to the previous census. The compliance rate stood at 81%.

 

The increase in the number of compliant administrations was mainly determined by the municipal authorities, for which the response rate stood at 84%. Compliance rates equal or close to 100% were recorded both for the main central administrations (ministries, tax agencies, bodies of constitutional importance, public welfare bodies) and for local governments (regional and provincial authorities and metropolitan cities, municipalities with populations of more than 50,000, chambers of commerce, universities, local health authorities).

 

The property surveyed amounted to approximately 2.5 million real estate units (1.2 million buildings and 1.3 million plots of land), mainly owned by local administrations. [In the case of buildings, they account for about 66% of the units surveyed and for 81% of the total surface area declared; in the case of land, they represent 97% of the units and 96% of surface area]. The analysis also reveals that most of the surveyed property is used by the administrations themselves or assigned to private individuals. In particular, the real estate units declared as used constitute, for buildings, around 93% of the total units declared and, for land, 73%.

 

For the purpose of the continuous improvement of the quality of the database of public real estate, for the collection of 2017 data, a query service for the cadastre archives was implemented, created in collaboration with the Italian Revenue Agency. Thanks to the innovations introduced, the Real Estate application offers new functions to administrations for comparing the cadastral identification codes entered in the system (limited to the ordinary cadastre) and to check the results.

 

The survey revealed that approximately 80% of the ordinary cadastral identification codes entered into the system by the administrations for the census of buildings (around 844,000) correspond to real estate units active in the cadastre . For 60% (617,000) it was possible to compare the consistency of the data. The results do not show, overall, significant differences between the surface areas declared and those resulting in the cadastre, despite there being significant differences for some types of real estate.

 

The report also contains the update of the estimate of the value of the buildings surveyed for 2017, according to the methodology developed by the Department of the Treasury in collaboration with the Sogei forecasting and statistical analysis solution. We remind you that the model is based on a statistical-mathematical approach for mass appraisals and on estimation methodologies, from a real estate perspective, consistent with national and international accounting principles. The methodology allows us to obtain an estimate of the overall asset value of the public real estate portfolio surveyed (for now limited to buildings), and of its subsets, applying specific calculation algorithms to the information found in the Department of the Treasury database.

 

The model, applied to approximately 1.2 million buildings, returned a total asset value of approximately €292 billion. Analysis shows that 72% of the estimated value is attributable to properties owned by local government - most attributable to municipal authorities - and the remaining 28% is divided between central administrations (17%), NON S13 local administrations (8%) and public social security and welfare bodies (3%). 76% of the total estimated value - around €222 billion - is attributable to buildings used directly by the administrations. The remaining 24% is assigned to private individuals (€55 billion), free of charge or against payment, or is unused (€12 billion) or under renovation (€3 billion).
The survey of real estate as at 31/12/2018 is currently in progress.

Related content